Costambar Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Costambar Community Forum

Costambar is a beach community located in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterForum RulesLog in

Emergency procedures

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
suzb

Emergency procedures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Emergency procedures   Emergency procedures Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 am

The old dilapidated Bayside Hotel sits on Rock and is probably one of the highest points in Costambar.
Back to top Go down
Anette K.N.

PostSubject: Re: Emergency procedures   Emergency procedures Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 10:40 pm

They have actually been waiting for a major earthquake in the Cibao Valley for a while now - like they are waiting in San Francisco I guess!! You never know!
The major problem in the whole area is the soft ground (suelo blando) and most of the buildings will not resist a quake rated 7,5 or 8.
You cannot spend your life being afraid !! And I don’t know if I should be happy having a house with 3 stories (in case of Zsunami) or afraid the house will fall (with me inside)..
Back to top Go down
stephenncullen

PostSubject: Emergency procedures   Emergency procedures Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 10:08 pm

With all that has been going on after the tsunami in Japan and due to the fact that in Costambar we virtually sit on a major faultline, it is quite possible one day that after an earthquake we might also be subjected to a tsunami. We have had them before....

While the authorities are supposed to issue instructions in case of a tsunami, I seriously doubt whether we can rely on them for any helpful action. Since our villa is right on the beach, we have set up our own procedure in the event of a significant earthquake which may or may not trigger a tsunami. We will not sit around just waiting and hoping. We automatically ASSUME there will be a tsunami after a major earthquake and our aim is therefore to head immediately to higher ground. Guests are to follow the direction of staff, who will direct them to immediately evacuate the location and head for higher ground. Rendevous is at Jenny's or Villas Jazmin. Staff have been instructed to listen out for official announcements and act accordingly.

The Japan tsunami moved at 550 mph, which is faster than any of us can run. I think everyone in Costambar should consider this threat and take appropriate action if we get a significant earthquake. I also think it would be a responsible duty that the APC could offer some guidance to residents re meeting places, emergency assistance etc. and have procedures to assist authorities rescue people in need. We don't need to panic about this but it is sensible to have a plan in place in case...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emergency procedures   Emergency procedures Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Emergency procedures
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Costambar Community Forum :: General Discussions :: General Topics-
Jump to: